Monday, June 29, 2009

(Note to Self)



Just a quick note at how much working for yourself rules.

1. Get up after 9am, drink coffee.
2. Make phone call to pattern-maker about marking and grading dress sample down to a small size (an alternative for those who are not like me - 5'11", size 8). Set appointment, think about fit model, do research on fitting before calling fit model.
3. Draft email to possible fit model, but hold off until I get more information from handful of girlfriends who might be a sm/med (me: med/large).
4. Get feedback from graphic design freelance gig; one request to fill, easy postcard design due in half an hour.
5. Tell husband all of this. He says we're $3k in the bank account hole. I feel even more motivated to get this technical stuff DONE WITH and these dresses OFF to be printed!!!

Accomplished since April 20th:

1. Idea is borne, followed by logo, brand identity, business plan and marketing ideas.
2. Make dress myself using no pattern, send off to be duplicated.
3. Dress comes back wrong because of no pattern, find pattern-maker.
4. Redesign part of dress, pattern-maker makes perfect pattern, her recommendation for seamstress is right on, I get a perfect sample in my hands June 26th.
5. Draw three original pieces of art to go on dresses, finalize design to give to Rock Star I see in August.
6. Secure backstage pass to show in August so I may hand over a dress to Rock Star in the hopes that she will like it and maybe WEAR IT.

To do:

1. Have pattern marked and graded down one or two sizes.
2. Send small and medium dresses off to be duplicated and dyed.
3. Receive samples, HOPEFULLY approve immediately and order 500.
4. Design and produce all collateral including business cards, envelopes, letterhead and some kind of brochure while waiting for dresses to come back.
5. Fascilitate design of website.
6. Design press kit and figure out launch party.
7. Send out press kit/launch party invitation to magazines, newspapers...maybe someone else too?
8. Find stores and representation for dresses.
9. Make money.


(picture above a sample of the notes I make in the middle of the night when I can't sleep or of ideas I wake up with; images fully formed in my mind that actually wake me up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment