Saturday, May 30, 2009

"Our darkness does not scare us"



it feels unbelievable but it is very true: i have finished my business plan. it is six pages long. the best part is the 1.5 pages of marketing and advertising ideas. i read it aloud to my mom. she said, "well one thing is clear. You've put a lot of thought into this."

i have also spoken to an intellectual property rights lawyer today who assures me that i'm pretty much in the clear using a celebrity portrait on a dress. she said the worse thing that can happen is i receive a cease and desist letter. she thinks the amount of dresses i'm ordering off the bat is a small amount and not something to worry about, that the real issue is the fame of the photo i use to draw from. i have sent her another design to look over that might skirt the celebrity issue even more yet keep the pop flavor i want.

i have found a pattern maker who will fix me up some real patterns, no fake wanna-bes like the one i made which came back wrong. she is amiable and willing, i only have to worry about my funding source as that has possibly gone buh-bye.

there is no fake cool feeling today. i've got some confidence back. part of it came from watching an ellen degeneres standup video last night. she said we are most afraid of our light, not our darkness, that if we constantly move towards our light and challenge ourselves we grow exponentially and become more actualized. i love ellen. i respect her tremendously. what she said may sound a little cliche, but as brian eno wrote on one of his famous Oblique Cards, "Don't be afraid of cliches."


2 comments:

  1. Ok.. so I might be repeating myself.. sorry. Mistake.. but...
    HI dear Beth!!! WOW.. how exciting. Love and Miss you! Anyway... here's a quote from Nelson Mandela that I have on my fridge that reminds me to always be and do my best.. Sounds similar to Ellen's quote. Here it is:
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyound measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. You were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within you. It is not just in some of us: it's in everyone. And, as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people the permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
    I replace "God" with "Spirit" or "Energy" or "Universe".. whatever.. but the point is that we all have greatness to shine. I'm so proud of you and I know you will shine strong for all to see. I always have kept your artwork in letters and such knowing that one day, you would be famous. I love you and wish you all the best. ox, Ginga

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete